Who can apply?
- Rising high school juniors or seniors who have not participated in the Summer Ventures in Science and Mathematics (SVSM) program.
- Students whose custodial parent or guardian live in North Carolina as of December 1, 2013.
- Students with proven academic ability, motivation in STEM fields of study and emotional maturity. See eligibility restrictions.
See Eligibility restrictions.
- Students may apply to both Summer Ventures and the Governor’s School. Students must choose SVSM or Governor’s School if accepted to both programs. Former Governor’s School participants can attend SVSM.
- Students may apply to both Summer Ventures and the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM). Students must choose between Summer Ventures or the NCSSM residential school if accepted to both programs. NCSSM Online students can attend Summer Ventures.
- Students attending Summer Ventures are not eligible to attend the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM) residential program.
However, there is an exception if a student is on the NCSSM waiting list and is later accepted as a residential school finalist. (Students already attending NCSSM are not eligible to apply.)
- A student may only attend Summer Ventures once.
What do I need to apply?
To be considered, applicants to Summer Ventures must provide the following:
- Student application
- Confidential teacher evaluation
- Confidential counselor evaluation
- Evidence of academic performance
What happens after I apply?
An admissions committee, comprised of professionals from across North Carolina, selects finalists to participate in Summer Ventures. Each finalist is assigned to a specific institute site based primarily on academic program preferences.